Thursday, April 9, 2015

How to Make a Sensational Salad For One
















I was blessed in college to have had roommates who knew very well how to make salads, a foreign concept to me. Typically my salads were potato or pasta based. I never knew how amazing salads could truly be. I typically thought that salads had to be carefully planned with exquisite ingredients like hearts of palm (my favorite) and goat cheese. Not the case at all. My dearest friend is a master at salad creations (and creating in general), that when I think I've got a good one, she blows my socks off with her combinations. I then stumbled upon PowerCakes, who creates Powerbowls, and that was my first real introduction to experimenting with flavors and ingredients, combining quinoa, beans, lettuce, and fruit with my veggies. It may sound odd, but it's oh so good. I have now found that carrots and celery are rarely found in my salads because there are so many more tastes I rather enjoy.




















Lately, I have found myself simply using half a lemon, salt, and pepper to season my salads. I'd say that I've always enjoyed more simple vinaigrettes than ranch, so this may not work for you.

The ingredients that I have found to create fabulous salads at lunch are
Lettuce Mix
Mango
Tomatoes
Green Onions
Cucumber
Basil
Radishes
Apples
Cheddar Cheese
Parmesan Cheese
Chia Seeds


I don't combine these all together, but its a nice base for have several different varieties of salad. It starts with a wide bowl and a large handful of salad base (sometimes I use Spinach or Arugula). Then one whole fruit, and at least 3 vegetables. I like to vary textures and tastes with the vegetables I choose. As you can tell, I don't shy away from unpopular veggies, but the savory taste of mango, with lemon tartness paired with radishes, its so delicious, it's similar to a fruit salsa.

I've not yet mastered the task of creating a large salad for my family, but I sure;y look forward each lunchtime for one of these scrumptious salads.


What do you like on your salads? Any tips and tricks?






 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Leave ♥ LOVE ♥ notes here!