Wednesday, December 5, 2012

To Elf or not to Elf

I'm sure you have seen many blogs and feeds consumed but the friendly (or creepy;) grin of the Elf on the shelf.

It seems that there is a popularity of doing it or totally despising it.

I think we are somewhere in the middle.

We won't be doing Elf on the Shelf, but I'm not going to go on a campaign about why my way is the right way.

But I would like to share my thoughts on the topic.

I think it's a little gimmicky.

I do want Lilly to know to be good, but not for Santa, or so she will receive presents.

This is the small, minor, minute issue I have with Christmas and children. We tell them be good and I will give you something.

I really don't want to raise kids to think that in order to get things you need to be good.

It's a warped view. One I am too familiar with.

It's so easy to love to get praised and recognized. It feels good.

But it cheapens it when you make everything a big deal.

I always remember a story a friend told me about how as a child she wondered why the less fortunate kids didn't get visited by Santa.

Guess they were naughty?!!

The whole thing is a wash because we really should be appreciating the real reason for the season.

A time to celebrate and be grateful.
To know that Christmas is about Christ.

I won't get preachy and all, but I keep feeling like I need to be grateful and mot use Christmas as a way to bait my child to be good.

Granted I only have a 7month old, but of I have the mindset that its no big deal now. I know eventually it will be very difficult to to change, not impossible, but difficult.

So that's my thought... To not Elf.

Will you be shelfing it this year or elfing it?

1 comment:

  1. Great post, I completely agree with you. I think people get caught up in the gift giving and the gift getting and the making sure my kid is behaved and gets gifts...gifts...gifts..and they just completely miss the true meaning of Christmas!

    I think I would love to do the Elf idea one day (not the elf on the shelf though...they are too creepy looking. I like the Elf Magic elves haha), but I am absolutely going to make sure it's an elf that teaches the true meaning of Christmas. My husband and I are adamant about incorporating that, whether it's a lesson on serving, or a scripture, or something, so our kids understand why we are celebrating Christmas in the first place. On top of that, it'll get them excited for Christmas and I look forward to the happy memories it'll hopefully add to the season <3

    ReplyDelete

Leave ♥ LOVE ♥ notes here!