Saturday, November 30, 2013

Giving Thanks

Thanksgiving is the epitome of fall. Tables filled with family, friends, cornacopias, leaves, acorns. crisp apple pie. Everything I love about fall is all a part of Thanksgiving. But each year, I begin the day with thinking about what I am thankful for. Family, friends, health, a home, my daughter, my job...

But what does giving thanks mean? Can you even give thanks?

As I thought about this concept I realized that you can't give anythign to anyone unless they are accepting. So how do you cultivate a grateful attitude in someone else? You can't.

So what the world does Thanksgiving mean?

I began to realize that this attitude of giving thanks must begin with us. Its so hard for me to just accept a compliment without feeling like I need to reciprocate. Its hard for me to accept a gift without making a mental note to give a gift back.  So how do you accept thanks without feeling guilty? I don't know and I don't think I ever will. But I am learning that it is about being genuine in the way that we give thanks, not just through gift giving. And what a task that is with Black Friday, the biggest shopping day of buying gifts, follows the day centered around selflessness.

For example, it is really hard to have an attitude of thanks when life is crummy, when life doesn't fit into 140 characters or paint a pretty Facebook post. 

I'm still processing this idea of giving thanks and creating a grateful attitude in my life.

How are you giving thanks?







 photo mrshurleysig_zpsc691af36.png 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Leave ♥ LOVE ♥ notes here!