Thursday, August 29, 2013

Book Review: The Whole Brain Child



Well what a book. 
Definitely eye opening and full of goodies.
I loved reading this book as an educational book, but found it to be so relevant in my parenting life as well.

This book is centered on the idea of the whole child. The whole child is accessing a child's needs physically, mentally, emotionally, and spiritually. This has found itself into education and I haven't seen much referred to in the parenting realm. But here it is!!

I believe as both an educator and a mama, how important it is to be whole. 
I find myself often off balance and know that I'm one run a way from a good mood.
It is neat that I have found that running helps me sort out problems, keeps me physically active, and is rejuvenating. 
This isn't the case for everyone.

Especially babies. 

I can totally picture myself telling Lil lets go for a run as she is crying and in a bad mood. I'll remind myself now not to do that.

But its so easy to just assume a 'logical' solution to our child's needs when they are upset, but sometimes creating that solution is ignoring what they really need.


Let me be more clear.

Its easy to tell your child 'It's okay, It's okay.' But really are they? They just fell down and we sometimes ignore their hurt so as not create a scene. Don't get me wrong, I do it too. 
But as they get older, will they be afraid to express their feelings because of that attitude we had as we handled their problems? 

This books talks about how to solve those issues. How to get to the root of what your child is really saying. 

I loved how the book is made up of 12 strategies. One of my favorite being Name it to Tame It. This stategy deals with helping the child understand their feelings and finding a strategy to change it. 
For instance, your child is crying at bedtime, you ask how they are feeling and they tell you they are scared. 
Instead of saying "It's okay, nothing will happen."

You ask "Why are you scared? I understand that when it is nighttime, it can be a scary time. What are some things that you can dream about tonight that will be exciting... and so on.

It's a great read. Lots of words, but full of helpful strategies.

I gave this book 4 out of 5 hearts.

What strategies do you use with your little one to avoid meltdowns?



 photo mrshurleysig_zpsc691af36.png 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Leave ♥ LOVE ♥ notes here!