Thursday, March 7, 2013

Book Review: Naked Fitness

Next on my list was Naked Fitness by Andrea Metcalf


The title alone was intriguing enough. Was I going to see a bunch of nude photos?
No, I didn't (But don't do a Google search for Naked Fitness, don't okay...)

This was a different kind of book. I've been reading a lot on health and fitness and this book definitely fit the category.

It is a book about health and fitness, but it also includes a 'lifestyle plan.'


I think it was full of great tips and tricks. 
It included ways to workout in the store, while walking the dog, at your desk, etc.

I liked that it also included a fitness test.

Again this book didn't preach a diet, but a lifestyle change, which is what I really believe in. Its not about 'not eating this' or 'only eating this.' 
And although she has a plan in her book, I believe it is pretty flexible too. And it has great guidelines. 

She has 5 food groups:
Fibrous vegetables-unlimited quantities
Fruits 2-4 servings
Light Proteins- 3 servings
Calcium-rich proteins- 1-2 servings
Starches 0-3 servings
Beneficial Fats 1-3 servings.

I like this food chart because it says unlimited amounts of veggies. I've been so rigid with my Fitness Pal, that sometimes I don't log in because I just want to eat all day :)
But I do believe that you really can't have too many vegetables. Fibrous vegetables are full of nutrients and are always great when you need a little something to munch on.


WATER,WATER, WATER 
This of course is key. I realized that this week I really wasn't getting much water and always seemed to be hungry. I wasn't I was just thirsty.

Symptoms of dehydration:
fatigue, loss of appetite, flushed skin, heat intolerance, light headed, and dark urine with a strong odor.

I also learned that leptin is a key element in the regulation of body weight. It lets your body know when its full.
Ghrelin is the 'hunger hormone.'
Cortisol is produced with you are sleep deprived and cortisol has been linked with add to that fleshy region around your tummy.

Without a proper diet, these hormones get out of wack,  leading to weight gain.


I would give this book 3 out of 5 hearts


only because it was not what I was looking for, but would definitely recommended it to someone wanting to get their life back into a healthy state.


What should I read next?

 photo mrshurleysig_zpsc691af36.png

No comments:

Post a Comment

Leave ♥ LOVE ♥ notes here!