Thursday, March 14, 2013

Book Review: When You Eat at the Refrigerator, Pull Up a Chair

When I saw this book, it immediately caught my eye. One is was small and portable and two, the title alone says a lot.
Again I judged a book by its cover, well title that is.
Then I saw that Anne Lamott wrote the foreward.
Umm she is amazing!!!
I've read several of her books including Rosie


This book has 50 chapters, but before you go "WHOA," they are super short. I love it because it is like small nuggets of gold.
Gold nuggets of wisdom.

Truly. This book is amazing!!

I love reading books from the library that make you want to go out and buy it.

Here are some of the chapter names:
Whatever You Do Don't Diet
Learn To Recognize a Fat-and-Ugly Attack
Learn the Difference Between Self-Indulgence and Self-Kindness
Carry a Chunk of Chocolate Everywhere
When You Are Not Hungry, Beauty is Better Than Bonbons


Each chapter is full of wisdom. This book really struck a chord with me. I am a Control Freak. I am. And I need to admit it. I've gotta stop 'dieting' or controlling my food. 
Sure I need to eat healthy, but on days that I feel like a HUGE BOX OF CHOCOLATE.
I'm gonna eat it, Why?!
Because when I get sick from it I'll remember too much of anything is a bad thing.


I don't get extra points in heaven for abstaining from a piece of chocolate cake.
Even if someone says good job, it doesn't make the inner war inside me feel better.

Only I can do that, well really, only I can give that over to God and let him deal with it.

I've realized through reading this that I am always trying to control something.
When I've discovered it, I don't really deal with it, I just put my control somewhere else in my life.


Any who...

Here are some awesome quotes from the book:

The basic message for a diet is that if you let yourself go,, you will devour the universe."
The 4th law of the universe is that for every diet, there is an equal and opposite binge."
Deprivation, fear, shame, and guilt do not have and never will lead to long-lasting change. Long lasting change can only come through kindness to yourself, curiosity about what you do, and a willingness to act on your own behalf.'
Keep an ongoing list of the instructions you obey or feel guilty about not obeying. 
Since fat is responsible for satiety, when you don't eat enough fat, you never feel full.

I give this book 6 out of 5 hearts

It really spoke to me. Its full of encouraging words and inspirational posts.

 photo mrshurleysig_zpsc691af36.png

No comments:

Post a Comment

Leave ♥ LOVE ♥ notes here!